You Are Not Alone
Many women and men believe they are the only ones they know who have had an abortion experience. Few people talk about it because of their shame and embarrassment, causing questions like, "What if my friends no longer like me?" As a result, many women and men suffer in silence.
In reality, 1 in 4 women will have an abortion by age 45. While you are not alone, how you came to the decision to have an abortion is unique.
Did You Hope Your Abortion Would Be a Quick Fix?
When asked immediately following their abortion, "How do you feel?" women will often say relieved. The crisis is over, and it's time to move on. But, over time, reality begins to sink in.
The emptiness and pain that abortion sometimes causes come to the surface. It never occurred to you at the time of your decision that you might have feelings of guilt, grief, or anger.
Abortion was supposed to be a quick fix, but as hard as you try, the memories won't stay buried. Few can walk away from an abortion experience without any after-effects.
Have You Felt Any of These Post-Abortion Symptoms?
Sometimes, people do not realize their symptoms are directly related to a past abortion(s). Many believe other stresses in their lives are the source of their pain. But these stresses have only masked the loss created by the abortion(s).
Whether your abortion was weeks or decades ago, it may still affect you. Do any of these symptoms seem familiar?
- Suicidal thoughts or impulses
- General anxiety or tension
- Fear of others finding out
- Low self-esteem
- Anger towards self or others
- Reactions to the anniversary of the abortion
- Reliving the abortion
- Involvement in unhealthy relationships
- Dependence on drugs or alcohol to ease the grief
- Eating disorders
- Isolation or feeling alone with no one to talk to
- Preoccupations with becoming pregnant again
- Inability to bond with your children
- Uncomfortable around babies, pregnant women, or children
- Self-destructive behaviors
- Anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Sleep disorders or nightmares
- Fear that God will punish you or is punishing you
- Sexual problems
- Emotional numbness
If any of the above describes you, Conquerors is here to help. Learn more about our programs.