The abortion was supposed to be a quick fix, but as hard as you try the memories won’t stay buried. Few can walk away from an abortion experience without any after effects, something you had no idea would occur at the time of your decision. Many times right after the abortion, all we feel is relief. The crisis is over and we are moving on. However, eventually the emptiness and pain that abortion sometimes causes come to the surface along with feelings of guilt, grief, or anger.
Sometimes those who have experienced an abortion do not realize their symptoms are related to the past abortions. Many come to believe that the other stresses in their lives are the source of their pain, and these stresses may have masked the loss created by the abortions. Your abortion may have been weeks ago or decades ago, but your abortion may still be affecting you.
If you have had an abortion in the past, do any of these symptoms describe you?
- Suicidal thoughts or impulses
- General anxiety or tension
- Fear of others finding out
- Low self esteem
- Anger towards self or others
- Reactions to the anniversary of the abortion
- Reliving the abortion
- Involvement in unhealthy relationships
- Dependence on drugs or alcohol to ease the grief
- Eating disorders
- Isolation or feeling alone with no one to talk to
- Preoccupations with becoming pregnant again
- Inability to bond with your children
- Uncomfortable around babies, pregnant women, or children
- Self-destructive behaviors
- Anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Sleep disorders or nightmares
- Fear that God will punish you or is punishing you
- Sexual problems
- Emotional numbness
If any of this describes you, Conquerors is here to help. Learn more about our programs.